Saturday, January 2, 2010

Trachycarpus Fortunei On the Outer Banks, North Carolina

I went to the Outer Banks of North Carolina in June, 2009. Along the way I noticed this Trachycarpus Fortunei growing by a gas station that I stopped at.

There were beautiful Trachycarpus Fortunei, Butia capitata, Sabal Minor growing all over the place. There were a large number of Sabal Palms growing also...but they looked highly damaged by the wind and cold of winter.

I found a whole stalk of seeds attached to one Trachycarpus Fortunei and claimed it as my own. There were several hundred seeds on it. I soaked and cleaned the fruit off of each seed. Then I planted about half of the seeds in blue plastic storage bins. To prepare the bins I drilled several small drainage holes in the bottom of each tub and filled them about 1/2 full of potting soil. The seeds have since sprouted and are doing well. I have the bin covers on them right now as they are living outside...but the seedlings are all looking healthy. I'll get some pictures of them and post them soon. -PolarPalm

No comments:

Post a Comment